Good news has hit Nigeria this morning and very soon many would be packing their luggages heading to the United Kingdom.
This is because the new government of Theresa May in the United Kingdom has written a new visa regulation which ruled out visa requirements for commonwealth citizens.

As per this revision of the visa regulations, all citizens of commonwealth countries of which Nigeria is among no longer require visas when traveling to the UK for a period of six (6) months.

However, people wishing to stay for longer than six months are still required to obtain visas. People traveling to take up courses longer than six months, people settling with their families are required to obtain visas.

Business visitors are also eligible to travel without visas. The following persons need a visa for the United Kingdom:

Since 1 July 2009, nationals of South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland need a visa to enter or transit through the UK.

Also since 18 May 2009, nationals of Bolivia and Venezuela need a visa to enter or transit through the UK. Venezuelan nationals holding valid biometric passports containing an electronic chip issued since 2007 will be exempt from the visa requirement.

Nationals of Jamaica need a visa to enter or transit through the UK since 3 March 2009.

What documents will be required?

You should have the following documents when coming to the United Kingdom as a visitor:

A letter from your employer granting leave of absence from your job for a specified period. The letter should also say how long you have been employed by that employer, in what job(s) and should indicate when you are expected back at work;

If you are self-employed, evidence of your business activities and financial standing;

-evidence of any property you own in your home country;

 If you are a student, a letter from your school or college stating which course you are on, its start and finish dates and the dates of the holiday period during which you intend to visit the United Kingdom;

It will also help if you can show that you have family or social ties and responsibilities to return to;

– evidence of any firm travel plans you have made;

– bank statements going back over a period of several months; and

– evidence of savings available to you.

You should check before you travel to see if you need a visa. If you regularly visit the United Kingdom for business you can apply for a multiple-entry visa as a visitor that is valid for two, five or 10 years. For more information on visas contact your nearest embassy or consulate.

How do I apply?

You can apply in a number of ways, for example, by post, by courier, in person and online. Staff at the visa application centers will tell you about the ways in which you can apply.

Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for your visa online please contact your nearest consulate.

If you cannot apply online you will need to fill in a visa application form. You can get a form, free of charge from the visa section of your nearest visa application centre.

You can apply for a visit visa or EEA family permit at any visa application centre overseas. If you are applying from within the EEA, you will need to show that you are living legally in an EEA member state. Living legally includes having a visit visa for the member state. For all other types of visa, you should apply in the country of which you are a national or where you legally live.

In some countries, if you are applying for a visa to stay in the UK for more than six months, you may need to be tested for active tuberculosis before they will accept your application.
SOURCE: nigeriana.org